Thursday, August 23, 2007

David's Sling 03

"What's your schedule tomorrow?" he asked without even looking up from the newspaper he's reading.

"Nothing specific. Why?" I asked too.

David then put the paper down and with a mischievous smile on his lips said, "Janice is coming over for dinner. I'm cooking."

I stared at David long and hard. I let out a deep breath. "That's my cue. All right, I'll spend the night over at wherever. I hope you'll have a great time with her."

"No! I want you to be here for dinner, too. So you'll meet Janice. Come home early."

"David, I know Janice back and bones. I can even write a book of your love story. Of how Janice opened your eyes and made you commune and appreciate nature. And from the pictures you've been showing me, I can also point her out from a crowd if ever I saw just her head."

"But I'll be cooking again!" David half shouted the last word.

"And I'm happy for you," I said. To my surprise, I was sincere saying it.

McDonald's became my best buddy, and Starbucks my wish grantor for almost 6 months because David hasn't been cooking since he and Emilie parted ways. He also became a private property of his room. And tonight, the backpack-sporting adventure-seeking cave-and-mountain-exploring lean and tan Janice had brought back David's flavors and spices.

"I'll try to change my mind. Thanks for the invite anyway."

"I need you to be there, Sarah. I miss the way you criticize my dish after your third serving."

A slow smile spread across David's eager face and I was mesmerized all over again. And the "zing!" was back. I could feel a sweet tingling down my spine as he earnestly said, "I miss you most of all."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haaaayyyyy...life...parang kilala ko yung nasa kwento na ito ah..

kailan mo ba gagawan 'to ng kasunod na yugto?sobrang nakakabitin sya, promis..nakakaexcite at nakakikilig na sana kaya lang bitin....

naiinip na akoooooo....nasan na ang kasunod?