Saturday, August 11, 2007

David's Sling 02

"What's new?" I asked without a trace of wonder.

I could have said, "C'mon, David. You and Emilie had had more than just a few petty quarrels. A ledger won't be enough for the time when Emilie cursed you for being "baduy" and I could make a list for the hours I spent wheedling that you look "a-ok".

"So, what's new?" I asked again.

David just stood there. An empty gaze towards the image of an embattled butterfly (although it looks more of a cocoon to me) sent me to a wistful sigh. Yes, David, stare at it. That's the very epitome of your darling Emilie. Sickening.

"She walked out on me when I told her I want to marry her."

And it was my turn to give the frame a look. It reminded me of Emilie. Complicatedly puzzling. But at that instant, I thank her. She saved David from a world that he is not ready to be a part of.

And I stared at David staring at the complicated painting of the buttercocoon.

"So, you're free."

Three words. I could have said it simply in two... "Thank God!" but I kept my mouth shut.

He smiled. Bitterly. Then he went straight to his room.

In a whisper, I cursed myself for being harsh. I should have comforted him. I should have told him Emilie doesn't deserve him.

But I was numbed both with pain and awe.

Pain, because I couldn't stand seeing David with a hurt look on his face.

Awe, because I couldn't quite explicate how happy I was that David was hurt.

I know, I'm harsh.

But then, Janice came.

And again, David mutated.

No comments: