Saturday, May 10, 2008

Using my GSM phone as my GPRS modem via Bluetooth

At long last, I can connect to the internet using my mobile phone via bluetooth!

I’ve been tinkering for the solution for the past few weeks and finally, I got it working. Of course with the much needed help and guidance from the OS community.

Here are the links that were of much help:

Archived post by togume in Ubuntu forum
Tom’s attempts to get GPRS working over bluetooth with his laptop
Bayan ni Juan

To read more on how I did it, here are the steps I took from activating my GPRS, checking my Bluetooth to finally using WvDial to establish connection.

I can also now connect using Gnome PPP but I have to save the story for the next post. Actually, the reason why I tried Gnome PPP was I failed to connect using WvDial the first time only to find out that I missed a digit in my Init3 string. Anyway, for those who can’t wait, you can go visit Bayan ni Juan for some helpful tips if you’re gonna use a data cable instead of Bluetooth.

Gooey, I’m way past my bedtime!

Until next post… Ciao!

No comments: